Monday, March 16, 2009

Sunday TV & Reading

Sunday TV is one of the only days I watch TV. I start with Rock of Love which is down to the final 4. The one girl ashley got booted and even though she was trashy she had big cans and was entertaining so it's too bad to see her go. The favorite Taya is still in it and how he could choose anyone other than the penthouse pet of the year is beyond me. I think it's sad that these girls have to pretend to like brett michaels but it entertains me.

Flight of the Conchords was pretty good. I can see how people would think this show is retarded but if you don't get the subtlety and the inside jokes you are missing out on a really good show. This wasn't one of the best episodes but still funny.

East bound and down is the new sleeper of the season. It's hard to say if it's good or not but I think it's character development is phenomenal. Cutler is easily my favorite character and stevie's infatuation with kenny is good to watch. Cutler fucking April was hilarious last episode and when Kenny was giving him advice on april after she got hit and he goes "what is going on here" or something like that to end it I had to laugh. The one thing that bothers me is Danny McBrides (kenny) inability to throw a baseball. He throws like a sissy faggot and no one would ever believe he can throw at all nevertheless 101 miles per hour. The eye seen made me laugh though.

I read Fahrenheit 451 and I must say that this is just not that good of a book. I'm going back and rereading some of these books they made us read in high school to see if I actually understand what they were teaching instead of just reading the cliff notes and hoping to pass the test. I finished the book in a couple of hours and I just don't see what makes this a classic novel.

Montag is shown how to think by a 17 year old girl. She has him starting to question things in life. He is married to a zombie, basically one of them (the general public). He witnesses some lady kill herself due to the power of books. His curiosity of what is in books starts to show. He meets Faber who tries to help him in his quest. He gets turned in by his wife for reading (i think) and gets reamed out Beatty who tries to convince him that books and thinking on your own are wrong. Montag burns Beatty to a crisp and goes on the run where he avoids the mechanical hound and finds a few intelligent people in the woods who may have to start a new society once the war annihilates society. There are some themes in the book but this is my basic rundown.

The book was written in 1950's and writes of a time sometime in the future 1990's+. This future consists of fireman burning books and general learning has been stopped. I suppose its the gov't way of censoring information from the public so that it can control them. It gives the idea that people would rather entertain themselves then to better society by learning and thinking. I think there are bigger ideas that I'm missing but oh well.

My brother has to read animal farm and amazingly it, along with 1984, were books I bought from Amazon so this will be the next book I read. Hopefully he lets me write his report and we can see what a 12th grade high school teacher gives a brilliant mind like mine on a paper. Just kidding.

1 comment:

Paul W said...

Animal Farm is likely the best book I read in High School.