Monday, December 01, 2008

Monday Dec 1st

This post was spurred by the sole comment.

Every once in a while someone I would never expect to read this says something about it, so at least I know I have an audience bigger than 1.

I put 100 dollars in Bodog on Saturday. I bet 100 on Alabama who covered, then 190 on Oklahoma who covered, then 160 on the Giants who covered. I proceeded to lose 200 on an over 40 on the pats steelers game but I won 100 on the Steelers +2. So I finished up 265 after a barrage of action. I'm quite possibly the worst sports bettor in history and this was my first wager in about 3 weeks. I'm considering taking the profit... or putting it all on the Texans tonight because it just seems like one of those triple reverse psychology lines. (Now you see why I suck)

I bought BIDU and GE today on a nice market downturn. Most people are scared to death of this market but I look at it as a tremendous buying opportunity. As long as you pick stocks that aren't going to go busto, it's just a rough patch in history. I've made errors in the past picking companies that have far too much debt, (SIRIUS) for this economy. Although, I just bought 1250 more shares of Sirius at 17 cents a share. I figure it's a good strategy to avg my cost down because it's so cheap that if I blow another 200 dollars because the company goes bankrupt, it won't ruin me. I refuse to be effected by the daily swings and just hold on to the notion that this will pass. Buffet quotes, "“Occasional outbreaks of those two super-contagious diseases, fear and greed, will forever occur in the investment community. The timing of these epidemics is equally unpredictable, both as to duration and degree. Therefore we never try to anticipate the arrival or departure of either. We simply attempt to be fearful when others are greedy and to be greedy only when others are fearful.”

Samuel Adams Winter Lager is back in season so that's obviously good. Probably my favorite beer for the money as it's 5.8 % alcohol content. If anyone suggests a better beer, I'm all ears.

I started reading the Harry Bosch novels by Michael Connelly and am half way through the first book. So far so good but I'll be looking for another book as my poker career has run cold. I'm not really losing, just not winning, so I feel like I have to spend my time in other manners.

The bball league starts Dec 10th so that should be some form of entertainment during the week. Other than that, the winter has started and the coldness has begun. As much as I hate the cold, the feeling of going to bed when it's cold out and waking up warm are awesome to start and end each day with, it's the in between those times that sucks.

No comments: